Nothing says stunning and classic like diamond jewelry. Of course, there are certain steps that you should take to ensure that your diamonds are not chemically and physically damaged. On top of seeking professional Jacksonville jewelry repair services, here are some things that you can do at home to keep your diamonds looking great at all times.
How to Prevent Damage to Your Diamond Jewelry
The only way to cut diamond is through the use of a diamond or laser saw. However, certain chemicals and brute force can easily damage diamond. Follow the tips below to reduce damage to your diamond jewelry:
- Minimize damage to your jewelry by not wearing them as you carry out your hobbies, chores or work
- Do not wear your diamond wedding ring if you enjoy doing tasks that are likely to chemically damage or chip the diamond. Some treated diamonds can be damaged with use of some chemicals
- Keep pieces of diamond jewelry in soft jewelry box
- Do not wrap jewelry items in a tissue. Many jewelry items has been thrown away because it was wrapped in an “assumed” used tissue.
Diamond Jewelry Cleaning Methods at Home
Everyday wear is likely to dull the diamond since natural body oil, hairspray, perfume and lotion can easily build up on the surface. This type of dirt does not necessarily need you to go to a jeweler. Here are some of the safest and most popular methods of cleaning diamond jewelry at home:
- Use Mr. Clean – Diamond jewelry can handle Mr Clean because it is ammonia free, and results in eliminating germs. Avoid using any cleaning agents that may contain ammonia as it may react with the alloys in your jewelry metals. To clean using Mr Clean, fill a bowl with one part ammonia to four parts warm water. Soak your jewelry in this solution for about 10 minutes before using a new soft toothbrush to scrub the dirt away. Rinse the jewelry with tap water.
- Using ultrasonic jewelry cleaner – This method is best for people with many diamond jewelry pieces. Ultrasonic jewelry cleaners are machines that use detergent, water and ultrasonic waves to create bubbles that will bind to dirt. This type of dirt removal is efficient and does not require you to scrub your jewelry. Once done using the machine, simply rinse your diamond piece under tap water to get rid of remaining detergent.
Professional Care for Diamond Jewelry
Most Professional Jewelers recommend that you have at least a bi-annual cleaning. Our recommendations is, if you wear your jewelry every day, bring them in for cleaning and inspection every 3 months. Other less worn jewelry can be inspected and cleaned every 6 months. Now, there is nothing wrong with having us inspect and clean your jewelry as often as you wish. This is a free service that can identify any needed maintenance before it becomes a big repair bill. Besides, a professional cleaning offers you a more thorough cleaning compared to home cleaning.
At Christoff Jewelers, our jewelry repair and restoration services use a wide variety of equipment and processes, that are not available or cost effective, to the consumer. It’s not often that you will see a steam generator, Ultrasonic cleaner and other commercial jewelry cleaning items in someones home. Along with our ability to effectively clean your jewelry, part of our diamond jewelry restoration Jacksonville services including inspecting the setting and determining if additional care is required. We ensure that the diamond is safely mounted on the wedding ring band since we understand that the sentimental value of the ring is immeasurable.